Game Pie Mould Oval
****Recipe for 2kg Boxing Day Pie****
For the pastry:
- 450g plain flour, sifted
- 100g strong white flour, sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g chilled butter, cubed
- 150g lard, cubed
- 1 Free-Range egg, beaten, for the glaze
For the Filling:
- 400g leftover stuffing
- 400g cooked turkey, roughly chopped
- 100g cooked streaky bacon, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g fresh blueberries
- 150g cranberry sauce
- Sift the plain flour, strong flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Heat the lard and 200ml water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. When the mixture is simmering pour it into the well in the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon, gradually drawing the dry mixture into the liquid, until the mixture comes together as dough.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and pliable. Take three-quarters of the dough and use it to hand-raise your pie, or roll-out onto a floured board and line the mould. Press the pastry well into the base and sides of the tin to prevent air bubbles from forming. Leave the excess pastry hanging over the edge of the tin.
- For the filling, spoon half of the stuffing into the pastry case and press down with the back of a spoon. Add half the turkey and bacon over the stuffing, then season to taste. Mix the blueberries and cranberry sauce together and spoon half over the turkey. Repeat each layer, pressing down as before.
- Roll out the remaining pastry until it is large enough to form a lid for the pie. Brush the overhanging edges with water and place the lid on top, squeezing it together at the edges to seal. Trim off the excess pastry, decorate with seasonal images and flute around the edge. Make a hole in the centre of the lid and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the chilled pie on a baking sheet or roasting tin and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, and then lower the mould over a tin can to free the sides and expose the pie. Brush the exposed pie with beaten egg to glaze then return to the oven for 15 minutes for final browning.
- When the pie is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving.
Delivery Of Your Order (click to expand)
Check the availability of our products in the options above under the ‘Availability’ column. If your goods are in stock, you can choose from our ‘Next Day’ or ‘2-5 Day’ delivery option at the checkout, depending how quickly you need your goods delivered.
If your goods are currently out of stock, the ‘Availability’ column will give you an idea of how long it will take for these goods to be delivered, for example – ‘3-5 Days Delivery’. Please note that this is only an estimate and goods may be available sooner or later than expected.
If you have any specific delivery instructions, please add these to the notes field in the checkout and we’ll be sure to let our couriers know of any special instructions you have regarding your delivery.
Our Returns Guarantee (click to expand)
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can be safe in the knowledge that you can return your goods within 30 days from the date of delivery and we will offer you a full refund on your payment.
It is the responsibility of the customer to return these goods to us in an un-used and resalable condition.